• Be informed.

Check the list of courses that fulfill the basic General Education Communication and Quantitative Reasoning Requirements. Remember:  some Schools and Colleges have additional requirements.

Learn how to search the Course, Search & Enroll App to find courses that fulfill the General Education requirements. The Office of Registrar’s contains tutorials how to add, drop, and swap classes.

Audit your transcript to find out if you have outstanding degree requirements to fulfill.  If DARS is available in your School or College, you can audit your transcript yourself; you should also consult your academic advisor.

  • Be proactive.

Schools and Colleges offer advising for students enrolled in or admitted to their schools.  Students who have declared majors or who have been admitted to programs should seek the advice of their department or academic advisor.  Students who have declared majors should always check there, first.

Students who are undecided, exploring majors or are planning to apply to a limited enrollment program should contact the Cross-College Advising Service (CCAS), located in Room 10 Ingraham Hall (phone 265-5460).  CCAS is a campus-wide advising service for undergraduate students who are undecided and exploring majors, are considering changing majors, or have been denied admission to one of the university’s competitive and limited enrollment programs.  CCAS advisors are knowledgeable about the many majors, certificate programs, institutes, and other academic and pre-professional opportunities on the UW-Madison campus. This service supports and facilitates undergraduate decision-making processes through individual appointments and career and special-interest group advising programs throughout the year.  Services are available in the CCAS main office, residence halls, student unions, and libraries. CCAS is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and by appointment. During peak registration time, it is open in the evenings as well.

Other Schools and Colleges at UW-Madison offer their own advising resources. If you don’t know who your advisor is or how to contact them, you can find this information by visiting the Academic Navigator in your MyUW.